Thursday, December 10, 2009

“Look to the horizon, spread your wings, and fly...”

I came across this piece and thought I should share this. The questions also reminded me of the coaching that I undertake with my coachees.

The nest of young eagles hung on every word as the Master Eagle described his exploits. This was an important day for the eaglets. They were preparing for their first solo flight from the nest. It was the confidence builder many of them needed to fulfil their destiny.

"How far can I travel?" asked one of the eaglets.
"How far can you see?" responded the Master Eagle.
"How high can I fly?" quizzed the young eaglet
"How far can you stretch your wings?" asked the old eagle.
"How long can I fly?" the eaglet persisted.
"How far is the horizon?" the mentor rebounded.
"How much should I dream?" asked the eaglet.
"How much can you dream?" smiled the older, wiser eagle.
"How much can I achieve?" the young eagle continued.
"How much can you believe?" the old eagle challenged.
Frustrated by the banter, the young eagle demanded, "Why don't you answer my questions?"
"I did." said the wise eagle
"Yes. But you answered them with questions."
"I answered them the best I could."
"But you're the Master Eagle. You're supposed to know everything. If you can't answer these questions, who can?"
"You." The old wise eagle reassured.
"Me? How?" the young eagle was confused.
"No one can tell you how high to fly or how much to dream. It's different for each eagle. Only God and you know how far you'll go. No one on this earth knows your potential or what's in your heart. You alone will answer that. The only thing that limits you is the edge of your imagination."
The young eagle puzzled by this asked, "What should I do?"
"Look to the horizon, spread your wings, and fly."

13 comments:

Kavi said...

Yes sir ! What lies within is so powerful, that its often a travesty that its tucked away within !

And like i said the other day, 'human beings are the only creatures that want their children come back home' !

Get well soon sir !

VENNILLA said...

Hi friend this is vennilla here.. ur doing a really good job.. can we exchange links..

Neha said...

great post and thoughts sir...

hope your knee is fine now :)

nsiyer said...

Great Comments , Kavi, as always. Thanks for the coaching that you started in our organisation.

nsiyer said...

Hi Vennilla, nice of you to have come over. We shall exchange links and I will visit your blog.

nsiyer said...

Hi Neha, I am recovering and progressing well. Thanks for your comments.

Preeti said...

wonderful !! this is exactly I needed to hear ...thanks ...:)

sometimes , we all know the potential we have but need to be reminded that we are yet to make best of it ...

thanks for visiting my blog ...

Sun said...

Hello Sir.. This is Vijay... Hope u l visit my blog...

nsiyer said...

Thanks Preeti for coming over.It is good to have you back. Pl. keep writing.

nsiyer said...

Thanks Vijay. I will come over.

Sucharita Sarkar said...

Reminded me of Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach. Inspirational post.

VENNILLA said...

Hi Sir.. I am new to this blogging.. I don no nothing about this.. In the beginning i don know whether u l visit my blog.. And thats wat i meant by links..

nsiyer said...

Thanks Sucharita for your comments. I have always loved the way you write and hence nice comments from you give me a new high.

Vennila, we would exchange links. Iwill visit your blog.